Superfoods – What are they, and more importantly, how we can get them into your daily eating habits? This two part series reveals some incredible superfoods that can easily incorporate into your nutrition regimen.
Obscure supplements with strange names from faraway places are NOT the only superfoods. Some are right in front of your nose! You can select superfoods from most menus and hopefully even pull some from your fridge today!
So, wait. Tell me again what are Superfoods?
Superfoods are a group of foods and supplements that pack an exceptionally healthy and healing punch to your nutrition. Super comes into play when the ratio of calories and the size per serving to beneficial nutrients in especially high. Superfoods help us feel more energetic, boost our immune systems, provide protection against disease, prevent cancer, protect our brains, slow the ageing process and promote a longer, happier and healthier life. You gotta have them!
Get your super powers here:
- Quinoa – This tiny, grain-like seed packs some serious nutritional power. With a mild, nutty flavor and a texture similar to couscous, quinoa is one of the only grains that provide all nine essential amino acids. And it’s filled with protein — 10 grams per one-cup serving, to be exact! GEM App: Keep our signature Quinoa salad on hand for an easy and quick snack. Impress your company with the Arugula and Quinoa salad with wild mushrooms, garlic and thyme. We won’t tell!
- Kale – This rough and tough green beats out all the rest in terms of nutrition, providing more antioxidants than most other fruits and veggies! Kale has an incredible abundance of phytochemicals, (plant chemicals that aid in the prevention of cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and hypertension – four of the leading cause of death in the U.S.). Kale a fantastic source of fiber, calcium, iron AND even protein! Prepare it virtually any way, sautéed, steamed, roasted (try it as a chip) or raw in a salad. GEM App: Juice it or grab our famous Kale Salad (we swear you will fall in love). Or try our yummy dehydrated kale chips. We are so excited to have a local guy making organic Kale Chips for us—in amazing flavors!
- Mushrooms - One of the most remarkable elements for a healthy immune system. These fungi provide us with the nutrients it needs to generate energy and repair cells. They have been used to cure or improve eyesight, hearing, circulation, impotency, stop migraine headaches, tumors, influenza. They fight and reduce cancerous cells and tumors, AND they help prevent more cancerous cells from forming. GEM App: The Arugula Salad with wild mushrooms, quinoa, garlic and thyme will make your heart sing. Try our Bloom Immunity Boost Drops, an organic blend of herbal extracts that include medicinal mushrooms for super powers beyond belief!
- Green Tea – This age-old health secret has been used as a natural remedy for everything from cancer to heart disease! The secret to this delicious drink? Antioxidants! The main superhero here is EGCG (Epigallocatechin gallate), a phytochemical that slows irregular cell growth, which potentially helps prevent the growth of some cancers. GEM App: Get down on our amazing Matcha Latte. Prepare to fall in love and possibly say goodbye to the coffee shop! We dare you to add cinnamon. Our Forever Young Iced Green Tea with a Ginger Boost is so good, it may change your life.
- Lentils - High in protein and other essential nutrients, including folate, iron, potassium and a ton of antioxidants. Use it as a vegetarian option to help fight off anemia. Lentils are low glycemic, meaning they cause blood sugar to spike less quickly than other starches—a perfect option for anyone, especially those with diabetes. With lentils’ slow-burning protein and high (cholesterol reducing) fiber, they may boost weight loss. They keep you fuller longer, potentially a key to controlling appetite and slimming down. A half cup of lentils contain 12 grams of protein. Oh, and gram for gram, lentils have more protein than beef! THAT’s what’s for dinner! Lentils can reduce that nasty inflammation, which is associated with everything from heart disease to cancer. GEM App: Lentil Love Soup contains 20 grams of protein, along with lots of good
- Garlic – This fragrant vegetable does a lot more than ward off vampires! This anti-inflammatory power house keeps colds, cardiovascular disease and cancer at bay. The allicin compound found within garlic can boost your mood, fight cancer and even your sex-drive Pretty awesome! GEM App: look for garlic in our Lentil Soup, Arugula Salad and Hummus.
Look to add at least one superfood at every meal and your body and mind will reap the rewards. Or, pick up dinner from The GEM and get them all in at once! You can have a great tasting, super-satisfying meal that is packed with nutrient dense superfoods … and it is easy to do! Be a SUPER GEM.