Do you give much thought to your liver? You should, because it may be the reason you aren’t feeling your best. The liver is the body’s most important organ–with more than 500 known functions. It’s involved with digestion, blood sugar control, and protein and fat metabolism. It functions as a living filter to cleanse the system of toxins, metabolize proteins, control hormonal balance and produce immune boosting factors. These functions are essential to your overall health.
Do you love your liver, or abuse it? Abuse in the form of:
- Poor food choices: think preservatives, junk, excess sugar, overeating, fried food.
- Pharmaceuticals: Toxins are fat soluble so they remain in your fat cells. Chemotherapy too.
- Environmental: We are exposed daily to high levels of toxins (chemicals, pesticides, water contaminants, heavy metals) through our food, water, air, body and home products.
- Excess caffeine and alcohol. This one is self explanatory.
When your liver becomes overloaded, congestion occurs. If the liver can’t properly filter the blood, you end up with recycled toxins flowing through your body. This can damage your heart and immune and endocrine system, wreak havoc on your optimal health, even lead to rapid aging.
This sluggishness causes problems you might not think are related, I couldn’t believe it! Do you have:
- High sensitivity to chemical smells
- Trouble digesting fatty foods
- Increased intolerance to alcohol. This was a big sign for me that something was wrong.
- Bloating around the upper abdomen
- Chronic indigestion. Have you been downing those antacids???
- Wake up at 2 – 3 a.m. for no reason
- Moodiness/depression/anger. For real, it can be connected to your liver.
- Blotchy skin
- Gallbladder issues, or removal
- Constipation, IBS
- BRAIN FOG
- Trouble losing weight—your liver plays a critical role in metabolism
- More ominous symptoms include high blood pressure, high cholesterol and triglycerides, sleep apnea and fatty yellowish lumps around eyes. (CALL YOUR DOCTOR FOR THESE!)
If you have more than three of these symptoms, it is possible you have a sluggish liver — blocked or clogged up with unhealthy fat (in extreme cases it’s called fatty liver). These are signs you need to take action! Once I figured out I had a problem, (which came from a year-long stint with some chemo), I immediately set out to restore my liver health. My changes have really made a positive effect on my health. I sleep better, think better and am a more pleasant person to be around—just to name a few!
How can you remedy this and feel better?
You need to give some love to your liver. Here’s how.
REDUCE exposure to air and food borne toxins:
- Creepy room fresheners and synthetic perfumes are SOOOOO BAD.
- Think of it as embalming fluid for food.
- No one needs electric blue GATORADE!
- Go organic. Eat at The GEM!
- Heavy metals in large fish – say goodbye tuna, swordfish
- Unfiltered water. Get a filter!
- Chlorinated and brominated products found in almost all commercially produced breads and bread products. I mean … WTF.
- Switch to non-toxic and plant-based, cleaning and personal care products. This is a BIG deal. If you can’t eat it, don’t use it on your skin.
CHANGE your habits and, “Let food be thy medicine.”
- Eliminate processed foods, poor quality fats, simple carbohydrates and sugar.
- Limit or eliminate alcohol. Duh.
- Drink 32 ounces of filtered water each morning.
- Eat detoxifying, liver loving foods to help repair the damage to your liver. Dark leafy greens, pastured eggs, beets, garlic, onions, cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels sprouts.
- Check out our new FANTASTIC DANDELION SALAD chocked full of liver detoxifying love. I’ve been eating this everyday. DAILY, ORGANIC GREEN JUICE contains living enzymes, vitamin C and anti-cancer phyto-nutrients. carrot, celery, beet, dandelion, apples, any green leafy veggie!!
REPAIR & RESTORE
We DON’T SUBSCRIBE TO overloading the body with supplements—they can actually be harmful to the liver! Stay away from those cryptic boxes of powders and pills heralding a “liver cleanse.” That kind of cleanse is best left to a functional medicine practitioner.
BUT, there are a few supportive herbs and nutrients you can use DAILY to rebuild health.
- Boosts of chorella and spirulina remove heavy metals and toxins. (Grab a BRIGHT LIKE A DIAMOND AND NEW PERFORMANCE SHOT!)
- Essential fatty acids–plentiful amounts are required for healthy liver function. High quality fish oil. Wild fish. Avocado, raw nuts and seeds. Strict low-fat diets are not beneficial for general health, weight control or liver function.
- MILK THISTLE and DANDELION tonics for liver cleansing, TURMERIC for inflammation can make a difference. Anima Mundi Bitters is a kick ass addition to your daily supplement routine. I saw immediate improvement in my sleep pattern. It helps remove stagnation, increase absorption. It stimulates bile production, enhances digestion and revitalizes liver function by eliminating accumulated toxins. GRAB SOME NOW.
It’s time to clean up the liver. These changes will improve digestion, sleep, better skin, weight loss and promote optimal function of your entire body!
Invest wisely into your health to feel your best and proactively prevent future chronic illness. After adding the extra beets, dandelions, Anima Mundi, milk thistle I’ve been sleeping like a baby….and slowly clearing the brain fog–one thought at a time!