Kale is the leafy green everyone really cool is talking about. This emerald beauty has found it’s way into the nutrition spotlight and is even referred to as “the new beef.”
WHY should I jump on this VEGGIE HUGGER bandwagon?” Kale here to stay. No longer the garnish on the Denny’s breakfast plate so get used to it.
Nine SUPER FINE reasons to eat more KALE:
1.Immunity Booster. “Super Kale” super charges your immune system with high levels of vitamin C, A and manganese.
2. Bones. Strong ones. Kale is loaded with calcium, it actually has more calcium per serving than milk. The calcium in kale is also absorbed more easily by the body than from dairy products making it the better choice for strong bones. And your skin will glow.
3. Anti-Inflammatory. Kale is strongly anti-inflammatory as it has an abundance of omega-3 fatty acids, over 45 different flavonoids. Trust me, this means good stuff.
4. Vitamin K. Contains tons of it. (1300%of your RDA in just 1 cup). K helps reduce the body’s inflammatory response and supports the nervous system. Prevents calcium buildup in our tissue. How much of my RDA?
5. Alkalinity. Kale helps the body maintain an alkaline ph. When your system is alkaline, diseased cells cannot survive. Uhh, thats all you had to say for me!
6. Kicks cancer’s ass. Anti-cancer properties of kale are off the chain. Glucosinates help prevent many different cancers. So do alkalinity and anti-inflammatory characteristics above.
7. Smooth Operator. Fiber: it keeps our digestive system running smoothly so we can absorb the maximum number of nutrients. Fiber also acts like little scrub brushes cleaning out toxins from out body.
8. Iron. Where’s the beef?? Per calorie kale has more iron than beef making it an iron-rich super star. Kale burger anyone?
9. Detox. High sulphur content is essential for the body’s detoxification process.
So how do you get this super food into your diet? Here are a few easy ways:
- Soups: De-stem and cut a few kale leaves before adding them to soups in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Sneak some in your salad – Massage (yes, massage) the kale with a little sea salt. Add the kale into your regular salad for a nutrient dense kick. OR, come get a life-changing, fabulously yummy kale salad at The GEM.
- Kale Chips: Yes you heard me, chips! Fall head over heels for them with a little olive oil and salt, bake at 350.
- Smoothies – disguise a kale leaf at a time into your smoothie. You can’t even taste it!
- DRINK IT! A Green Glow Juice from The GEM is the perfect starter kit to add more kale in your day.