Don’t get in the way of a hungry teen looking for sustenance. Their growing bodies and brains need healthy snacks when they need them. So if you wait for them to start rummaging through the kitchen, you may have already lost the battle for healthy food.
Teens will snack on what is in front of them, whatever it is. So keep a few options out or in the fridge and they’ll be sure to eat them up.
22 TEEN-APPROVED SNACK IDEAS
- Organic stove-top popcorn with coconut oil and sea salt. Dee-lish.
- Sliced cucumbers and carrots marinated in lime juice and salt. Sooo good!
- Organic chips with fresh pico, salsa, guacamole and bean dip.
- Nachos with pinto beans and organic Mexican cheese
- Sunflower seeds. Pistachios are fun to eat. Toast your own pumpkin seeds.
- Turkey Muffins. Sounds weird, but they are yummy and easy to make.
- GEM Hummus Snack Pack, or make your own. Have you tried our “Ranch” dip?
- Sliced apples with organic almond or peanut butter.
- Always have Cutie oranges, grapes, or bananas for an easy grab.
- Make a smoothie! Blend 1 frozen banana with 1 cup almond milk, raw cacao and organic peanut butter for a yummy treat. Better yet, make a Sparkle Berry smoothie. They will love you!
- Speaking of The GEM, the Badass 3 Bean Salad is a big hit with the kids.
- Avocado toast with lemon, cayenne, and sea salt.
- Mini pizzas made with whole grain English muffins, fresh marinara, mozzarella.
- Lentil soup or turkey chili with all the fixings.
- Simple Mills crackers are yummy (and gluten free)!
- Kids love Sami’s Cinnamon Chips. These high-fiber, low-sugar snacks will disappear. Available at The GEM.
- Pre-make whole wheat or banza chickpea pasta and keep a clean and healthy Pomodoro sauce or pesto on hand for a quick pasta break.
- Keep grass-fed taco meat and whole wheat tortillas in the fridge for quick quesadillas. When buying tortillas or taco seasoning, look for brands that have simple ingredients. Mission or Taco Bell does not.
- Steam frozen organic edamame and add sea salt.
- Make-ahead yogurt parfaits in a small Mason jar! Mix Greek or Kite Hill yogurt with Marge (available at The GEM) or Kind granola and berries, and drizzle honey on top.
- Healthy protein bars. Look for ones like Clif, Perfect, and Vega with simple ingredients and no harmful chemicals.
- Special treat: Homemade cookies and brownies! Just use organic flours, whole butters, and real chocolates — or mixes that do the same like King Arthur or Immaculate Baking Company. A little goodness goes a long way. These treats should be treated as just that — treats.
Find one or two your teen likes and try out new ones every week. Keep a few on your shopping list, and they’ll never run out of options.