Last week you super fine GEMs really took notice of our post about personal care products and the chemicals that they contain. We received so many emails and texts wanting to learn more about specific brands and information. Many of you were extremely interested (worried) in making positive changes for you and your family. No need for anxiety!
Let’s get this chemical-free show on the road.
Please note, this is just a start. There are hundreds of others! The important thing is to read the label and know a company’s philosophy on harsh chemicals. The best way to make certain of this is to download EWG’s Skin Deep App. This thing IS AWESOME. There you can quickly scan a product and this bad ass app will give you its safety rating. You can rest easy with this!
During the research, I shockingly learned some of my favorite personal care products scored much higher on the EWG safety rating than I would prefer! Holy sh*t. That is why you MUST use the app in the stores or go to a highly, edited website to shop.
Most websites have a range of product ratings on their site. This site does a tremendous job of showcasing the safest and best ones. These. Folks. Rock. “Rodale’s is for people like you, who want to do the right thing but don’t have the time or energy to wade through all the confusing and conflicting information out there to figure out what is really good or what isn’t. Since 1942, that’s what we do. We are your trusted source. Let us make it easy for you!” Well … sign me up!
Don’t worry, though. There are some more mainstream brands out there, you just gotta look!
- California Baby for soaps and shampoos (Target carries this too.)
- Thinkbaby bubble bath, sunscreen
- Kiss My Face, mineral sunscreen only
- JASON satin shower body wash - This one ranks a 1, though I was shocked to see mine rated a 5! Grrr.
- Derma E rocks our world. Love their Super Intensive Body Balm
- Coconut oil works for just about everything under the sun: moisturizes, removes make up, mouthwash … yes, mouthwash
- Drunk Elephant. Their skin treatments look amazing!
- Tata Harper. Expensive, but their line is soooo good. They grow their own botanicals on her farm!
Lipsticks & Makeup
- Tarte mascaras, concealers, eyeliners – Love their Amazonian Clay products.
- Zuzu Luxe Cosmetics – Lipsticks
- Burt’s Bees for lip balm – Burt’s Bees is available just about everywhere—so you can grab their skin care products when you are in a bind.
Toss the ChapStick!
- John Masters Organics. This brand has a huge selection of products. All rank well on the EWG chart.
- Giovanni for shampoos, hairspray and gels. While these don’t have the very best ratings, they are less toxic and you can find this at Target!
- Tom’s of Maine—fluoride free – Lots of kinds, I love the cinnamint one. Available in lots of drugstores and the Target.
These are not anti-perspirants, btw. You have to get used to the fact that you are supposed to sweat! No aluminum. Period.
- EO organic deodorant—lavender scent
- Vermont Soap Sage Lime Deodorant - AWESOME, but currently out of stock.
There are conscious companies that are trying to make a difference with quality personal care products that are helpful and not harmful! Reward them by buying their goodness. If you are really committed to change and need informed and happy handholding, a Diamonds On Your Inside Counselor can walk you through a Healthful Home cleanup session. Eliminate the body and home products that are toxic, and find clean, quality replacements. You need a hand? We got that, dear GEM.