From a distance, achieving a cleaner, healthier lifestyle seems daunting. There are foods you’ve never eaten, supplements you’ve never heard of, and exercises you’ve never dreamed possible. Sure, when you start climbing that mountain of health, the pinnacle is nowhere in sight. But Rome wasn’t built in a day, so don’t expect a new lifestyle to simply appear when you blink your eyes. Gradual changes to your daily life will put your body and mind on a path to healthier and happier living.
So many of our GEMs ask how they can get clean—to feel better, look better, think better. They have no idea where to begin. I had the fortune (or misfortune if you are a half-empty kind of guy) of being scared into a clean lifestyle. One day I was sipping/guzzling Hendricks and sodas living an incredibly toxic life (food, drink, people), then BAM!, the next day I am down in the depths of a super strict, super alkaline, orthorexic-to-a-fault, rid-my-life-of-toxic everything way of life. But you don’t need that kind of fear. You need a few simple tips to get you on your way. It’s about being mindful of your body and your environment. Once you can see the benefits of these small changes, your body and your mind will DEMAND more. THEN, we can talk about diving deep!
- Drink 32 ounces of clean, purified water upon waking. This means before you drink your coffee, before you go for your run, and certainly before you eat that huge breakfast. Add a little lemon if you like for added alkalinity. Your body has been detoxing itself for the last 8 hours. Flush out these toxins. The water is not only cleansing, it is hydrating and energizing. TRUST ME ON THIS.
- Deep breathing exercises every day. Measured breathing,(pranayama) filling your belly first and inhale through your nose for 6 seconds, then exhale for 6 seconds. Repeat 8 times. Calms the mind, reduces anxiety and tension, increases metabolism, energizes, strengthens the immune system.
- No artificial sweeteners, no artificial colors. Never. Period. Studies show sweeteners can raise insulin levels, cause brain tumors, foggy brain, migraines, fibromyalgia, cancer. Artificial colors are made from petroleum and cause ADHD, and certain cancers among other things. Seriously, this sh*t is toxic.
- Add an extra green to your day. Add steamed broccoli to your salad, spinach to your smoothie (you can’t taste it, by the way). Green juice is a great way to to get lots extra veggies. If you want a good recipe, email me! I’d love to share. Slice up some cucumbers and sprinkle with lime and sea salt. Just one EXTRA a day.
- Daily probiotics. This should come in a pill format—NOT Activa yogurt. Probiotics are the healthy bacteria our digestive tract needs to keep our bodies healthy. Our immune system primarily resides in our digestive tract. The healthy bacteria has been sabotaged with processed foods, antibiotics, and other chemical stresses we put on our bodies. Sunbiotics, a brand we love and use, brings the good bacteria back so it can fight off illness, enhance digestion, remedies constipation and believe it or not, improves mood and thinking.
- Omega Fish Oil. Nordic Naturals are the cleanest, freshest fish oils on the market–and the only brand the GEM recommends. These vital nutrients help quell inflammation, boost brain health. 2-3 grams/day.
- Brisk walk 3-4x week for atleast 30 minutes. Good for circulation, mood, metabolism. Duh. Just do it.
- Sleep. Get some. Atleast 8 hours. Adequate sleep will keep your cortisol levels in check (things that make you hold on to fat), keeps your mood elevated.
Practice these 8 things every day and watch a transformation begin. Daily GEM dosing and an introductory meal plan is next on the list, but that is for another day….
Peace and Happy and Juice.